Wednesday, October 19, 2016

The Giver Book Essay

(Part 1) While reading the book The Giver by Lois Lowry, I've found some events to compare from the book to the film such as when  Jonas was selected in the ceremony of 12 to be the next “Receiver of Memory”. Ive managed to find this quote “We failed in our last selection,' The Chief Elder said, solemnly. 'It was ten years ago', when Jonas was just a toddler”, this quote helps compare the book and film because the film also had a ceremony and a speech.  Another event I found to contrast while watching the film was when Jonas took away Gabriel so they wouldn't kill him. This quote helps to picture the moment “Things could change, Gabe. Things could be different. I don't know how, but there must be some way for things to be different. There could be colors.  And grandparents. And everybody would have memories. You know about memories”, I can contrast from the film and the book because in the book, Gabriel is staying in their dwelling but in the movie Gabriel is in the nurturing center.

(Part 2) From reading The Giver by Lois Lowry, I've seen how the ending of the books is portrayed in the film.  The ending of the book is very detailed and you picture almost every moment but I felt that in the film, it was rushed.  This quote might help picture the moment “For the first time, he heard something that he knew to be music. He heard people singing. Behind him, across vast distances of space and time, from the place he had left, he thought he heard music too. But perhaps, it was only an echo”. This quote gives the reader a picture to see that moment at the end of the book, the book ending was better because of all of the detail. Another way I found that the book ending is portrayed in the film is when they were talking about Rosemary “You suggested, Jonas, that perhaps she wasn't brave enough? I don't know about bravery: what it is, what it means. I do know that I sat here numb with horror. Wretched with helplessness. And I listened as Rosemary told them that she would prefer to inject herself”, this moment is portrayed very well in the film because they do have some sort of a “memory” about Rosemary with those memories that made her release herself.

(Part 3) I think the film made me understand more about the ending of the story because I got to visually see what happened.  The film also gave a bigger impact because you could actually hear them speak so you can hear their emotions more, the film is a better understanding for the ending of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment