Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Night blog

            In the book Night by Elie Wiesel, Elie changes from being pious to then having very little faith in God.  A quote early on in the book gives the reader a understanding on how pious Elie really was, "During the day I studied the Talmud, and at night I ran to the synagogue to weep over the the destruction of the Temple." (Wiesel 1) this quote shows Elie would do nothing but study the Talmud and then cry over the destruction of a church,  the "Talmud" is basically the bible and Elie studies it everyday.  Another quote I found to prove that Elie was pious was "One day I asked my father to find me a master to guide me in my studies of the cabbala" This quote shows that Elie was ready to learn more about the Talmud and cabbala (the ancient Jewish tradition of mystical interpretation of the Bible,) but Elie has changed very much throughout his time in the concentration camps.

            Elie changed faithfully,  "Where is God's mercy? Where's God? How can I believe, how can anyone believe in this God of Mercy?" (Wiesel 76) this quote shows how Elie's perspective on God is.  Elie is losing faith in God because he feels as if God created these men to then make these camps to kill others.  Another quote I found while reading was "I cried because because something inside me felt the need to cry. That was all I knew. 'Why do you pray?' he asked after a moment. Why did I pray? Strange question. Why did I live? Why did I breathe? 'I don't know," I told him, even more troubled and ill at ease. "I don't know.'", on the other hand this quote represents Elie's faith in God, he still hasn't lost all of his faith but Elie will never go on to be how pious when he was is the beginning of book. Where is God's mercy? Where's God? How can I believe, how can anyone believe in this God of Mercy?

            Elie has also changed his father-son bond with his father. In the beginning of the book Elie has a great relationship with his father, "the moment when I left my mother. There was no time to think, and I already felt my father's hand press against mine: we were alone."  this quote shows their bond when the father grips onto Elie to ensure that nothing would happen to Elie and so to keep Elie safe in his hands. Later in the book Elie and his father's bond grew weaker, "My father groaned once more, I heard: 'Eliezer... I could see that he was still breathing—in gasps. I didn't move. When I came down from my bunk after roll call, I could see his lips trembling; he was murmuring something."  Elie just was leaning over his father just watching his father die and not at least hug his father, Elie just fell asleep without saying anything to his dying father.



No comments:

Post a Comment